A summary of historical facts:
1935 Airport known as "Western Junction" and consisted of grass covered over field.
In 1945 engineering investigation undertaken as part of proposal to construct two concrete runways.
In 1946 Low strength bitumen surfaced pavement constructed as apron and warm-up area for three RAAF Bellman hangars and ANA (ex- Holyman Airways) hangar.
In 1948 Runway strengthened, lengthened and paved for regular DC4 aircraft.
In 1951/52 Apron sealed and taxiways upgraded.
In 1957 Runway resealed.
In 1962 Parallel Taxiway and associated works completed.
In 1961 Detailed investigation undertaken to determine development of the aerodrome to an Airport.
In June 1965 Major development of aircraft pavements completed. Runway strengthened and extended for B727 aircraft. Concrete taxiways and apron constructed. New terminal and associated services completed.
In 1973 Main runway resealed.
In 1982 Several sections of main runway upgraded.
In 1987 Runway strengthening and Bituminous overlay were completed and runway pavements assessed as suitable.
In 1988 Airport ownership transferred to the Federal Airports Corporation.
In 1997 Runway Bituminous overlay completed.
In 1998 The Airport was privatised and Australia Pacific Airports (Launceston) Pty Ltd acquired the airport lease.
See our Current Media Releases